One of the many ways Historic Charleston Foundation seeks to protect Charleston's architectural, historical and cultural integrity is through scholarly research and documentation.
The Margaretta Childs Archives consists primarily of property records for hundreds of historic buildings, homes and plantations in Charleston and the Lowcountry, including historical and architectural information, deed/title research, news clippings, archaeological reports, photographs, architectural drawings, plats and maps.
The Research Library contains books, pamphlets, technical reports and videos pertaining to architecture, historic preservation, Charleston and South Carolina history, archaeology, building arts, decorative arts and gardens.
Constructed in 1815, St. Andrew’s Hall (120 Broad Street), was located just east of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. It was used not only for St. Andrew’s Society…Read More
The answer is St. John’s Lutheran Church Parish House (5 Clifford Street). There’s no history of this building in HCF’s Archives. What is known is that the building was…Read More