The Story Behind the Gates at the Nathaniel Russell House

Florian Schweizer
Director of Museums

Look closely at the gates of the Nathaniel Russell House, and you’ll see more than beautiful ironwork. You’ll see a piece of Charleston’s history and a mystery that we’re only beginning to unravel.

David Hoffman and Dr. Florian Schweizer, Director of Museums, looking at the iron fence at NRH

In the spring of 2026, the museum team, with the support of David Hoffman and Guyton Ash of Artis Construction, determined that restoration work on the pedestrian and driveway gates at the Nathaniel Russell House had become necessary. The gates had become increasingly difficult to operate, contributing to their accelerated deterioration. We also identified areas of distress in the brick piers supporting the gates.

The team at ACBA carefully removed the iron gates.

To address the ironwork, we connected with Professor Matthew Garton of the American College of the Building Arts (ACBA), who agreed to undertake the necessary repairs and restoration. William Kent Masonry was engaged to address the brick piers.

As with any preservation project, we knew that repairing the gates could reveal more than structural problems. Close examination can uncover clues about a piece’s provenance, makers, materials, techniques, and history. Naturally, we were curious about what the gates might tell us.

As we began preparing for the project, we were reminded that the gates and fence we see today are not original to the Nathaniel Russell House. They replaced a wooden fence and gate in 1928.

But where did the gates come from? Who made them? And what is their story?

Our research has already answered one important question: the gates were previously installed at another important property in Charleston. But that discovery has led to even more questions. Were they made in America? Who was the maker? When were they created? And how did they make their way from another Charleston property to the Nathaniel Russell House?

In July, the driveway gates were carefully removed and transported to ACBA, where closer examination and conservation work are underway. We hope this hands-on investigation will reveal new clues about their construction and history. At the same time, our research continues in the archives, where we’re looking for the documents and photographs that may help fill in the gaps.

For now, the gates are telling us their story one piece at a time.

Follow along in the coming weeks and months as we uncover more about where these remarkable gates came from, who made them, and how they came to stand at the Russell House.

And while our focus is currently on the gates, they are only part of the story. The iron fence that surrounds the property—also installed in 1928—will ultimately need restoration as well. There is still much more to discover!

Now safely removed, the gates will head to ACBA for its next chapter.