Posted: January 12, 2018
December’s “Name That Building” elicited a mixed response, with only two correct identifications from them all. Congratulations to Sallie Avice du Buisson, whose name was selected at random. The answer is the German Artillery Hall which had been located at 59-67 Wentworth Street. There’s no information in HCF’s Archives about the history of this building. All that’s known is that it was acquired by Kerrison’s Department Store in 1929 and torn down in 1930 to provide space for a service station and parking lot. (News & Courier, March 23, 1930, accessed via America’s News–Historical and Current.) The c. 1893 photograph is from Art Work of Charleston (Chicago: W.H. Parish).