2023-2024 Art & Architecture Study Series is comprised of four individual programs: three lectures and one off site excursion each program may be attended individually or all four for a reduced price.
Individual Lectures (Nov. 8, Dec. 13, Jan. 10): $125 per lecture per person. Excursion (Feb. 14): $175 per person. All four programs: $450 per person ($100 savings!)
Wednesday, February 14, 2024 – Time TBD
Participants will drive themselves or carpool with others on this excursion to Edisto Island. A boxed lunch will be provided for each registered guest. More details will be provided prior to the date.
Itinerary includes visits to:
Constructed circa 1885, the Hutchinson House is the last surviving structure that directly represents the immense challenges of the Lowcountry’s post-emancipation community. Constructed on land acquired by James Hutchinson and other freedmen in 1875, the house was completed circa 1885 by Henry Hutchinson and his wife Rosa Swinton. Operating one of a few African American-owned cotton gins in the region, the Hutchinson family prospered as farmers. Family descendants resided in the house until the 1980s. The Edisto Island Open Land Trust purchased the property in 2016 and has expertly spearheaded its stabilization and restoration efforts. With the project nearing completion, Hutchinson House will soon be open to the public and serve the community as an important space for programs and events.
Built for planter Paul Hamilton, this circa 1725 Huguenot-influenced house burned in 1929. Today, the Brick House ruins are undergoing intensive stabilization and preservation efforts. In 2018, engineer John Moore and architect Simons Young collaborated to design structural support measures. As of 2023, contractor Richard Marks, along with Artis Construction and UpSouth, LLC, has successfully carried out three separate phases of the restoration work.
First established by James Crawford in 1784 and centered on 110-acres, Crawford Plantation (or “Crawford’s Plantation House” as it appears on some records) was a major producer of Sea Island Cotton by the early 19th century. Crawford’s main house, constructed in 1834 by Ephriam Mikell, retains its original T-shape floorplan and Greek-revival stylings. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. Today the house is owned by Jane and Colby Broadwater.