Your Guide to the 2022 Festival of Houses and Gardens
Posted: October 9, 2021
2022 Festival Dates: March 16 – April 9, 2022
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
Updated: October 2021
In 2022, Historic Charleston Foundation will celebrate its 75th year as one of the leading preservation non-profit organizations in the country. It will also be the Foundation’s 75th Annual Festival of Houses and Gardens. Thank you for your patronage of the Festival and for your investment in HCF’s work through the years. Your purchase supports the preservation, advocacy, and education initiatives of Historic Charleston Foundation. We look forward to seeing new faces in 2022 and welcoming back the familiar faces of those who have enjoyed the Festival in previous years.
Please bookmark this page or consider printing for future reference. (See Print button at bottom of page).
General Festival Information:
We are closely monitoring and following the recommended safety protocols, guidelines, and policies in effect to prevent the spread of Covid-19. The safety and well-being of our patrons, hosts, staff, and volunteers is our highest priority. We will limit the number of available tickets if necessary to maintain social distancing, and we may request guests to wear masks in certain venues. As the situation changes, we will provide updated information on this page.
- No tickets are mailed.
- Your email confirmation is your proof of purchase. Check your spam or junk folders if you do not receive the confirmation in your inbox.
- TOUR ticketholders* only will need to pick up TOUR maps and credentials at the ticket office. Please present your order confirmation and a photo ID to retrieve tour credentials.
- Ticketholders for Architectural and Garden Splendor Tours will receive an email with details about where the tour starts and other details. They will not need to pick up a tour map and credentials in advance.
- All other event ticketholders will show their confirmations at the door of the event location for admission.
- Ticket sales are final. Refunds will only be given if HCF cancels an event due to the pandemic.
- If you are unable to use your Festival tickets, you may contact the HCF ticket office prior to the event to activate one of these options:
- Exchange your unused tickets for another event during the 2022 Festival for a processing fee of $10 per ticket plus the price difference, contingent upon availability and approval. Refunds are not given for exchanges to lower-priced tickets.
- Donate your unused tickets to HCF as a tax-deductible gift. An acknowledgment of your gift will be provided.
Phone: (843) 722.3405 | Phone lines are open beginning 11.01.21 between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm. Phone hours will be extended closer to the beginning of the Festival. Messages are returned within 24 hours.
Email: [email protected]
Location: Inside Shop Historic Charleston at 108 Meeting Street (corner of Meeting and Chalmers) | This ticket office will be open from 03.14.22 through 04.09.22. Hours are 9 am – 6 pm daily. TOUR ticketholders pick up maps and tour credentials here. Additional tickets for all events may be purchased here.
Event Information & Locations:
- Please present proof of purchase (email confirmation) and a photo ID to receive your TOUR map and TOUR credentials from the ticket office at 108 Meeting Street.
- Each person on TOUR must have valid credentials to enter each tour property.
- Restrooms are NOT available in residential neighborhoods. Luckily, the restrooms at the ticket office are available 9 am – 6 pm daily.
- By SC law, photography is NOT allowed on private property without the express written consent of the property owner. No interior photography is permitted.
- Out of courtesy to our hosts and other guests, please refrain from cell phone usage while on tour.
- Comfortable, flat walking shoes are strongly encouraged. They are safer and better for walking on uneven sidewalks and cobbled streets and will also help protect the floors of the historic homes.
- Large pocketbooks, backpacks, or totes are not permitted in the private residences on tour.
- Guests may bring capped water bottles on tour for rehydrating between properties.
- Tours are conducted rain or shine, so please be prepared if inclement weather is forecasted.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT LUNCHEON LECTURES:
Please be prepared to show your email confirmation for admission. These lectures take place on the third floor of the Captain Missroon House, HCF’s headquarters located at 40 East Bay Street.
LIVE LIKE A LOCAL EVENTS:
Please be prepared to show your email confirmation for admission. Locations for events in the Live Like a Local category are below:
- Container Gardening – Nathaniel Russell House Garden (51 Meeting Street)
- Gullah Spirituals Concert – Circular Congregational Church (150 Meeting Street)
- Morning Photography Walkabout – Shop Historic Charleston (108 Meeting Street)
In the event of inclement weather, this event may be rescheduled for the afternoon or the following Sunday morning. Ticketholders will be contacted via email if weather is causing a delay.
- Rose and Roses – Nathaniel Russell House Garden (51 Meeting Street)
- Wine by the Water – Captain Missroon House, HCF headquarters (40 East Bay Street)
MORNING HISTORY WALKS:
Please be prepared to show your email confirmation for admission. Morning History Walks depart from 108 Meeting Street (Shop Historic Charleston). Check-in for the walk at 9:15 am. Tours depart promptly at 9:30 am and end at 11:30 am.
We recommend that you wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a bottled water.
QUICK REFERENCE – Festival Venues & HCF Locations:
- Aiken-Rhett House Museum | 48 Elizabeth Street
- Captain James Missroon House (HCF Headquarters) | 40 East Bay Street
- Charleston Visitor Center | 375 Meeting Street
- Circular Congregational Church | 150 Meeting Street
- Market Shop of HCF | 188 Meeting Street (inside the City Market)
- Nathaniel Russell House Museum | 51 Meeting Street
- Shop Historic Charleston | 108 Meeting Street
- Ticket Office | 108 Meeting Street
ENHANCE YOUR VISIT TO CHARLESTON:
- Download the HCF Mobile App. Why? Click here or on the APP icon on our website to download.
- Excellent content – It’s your guide to historic Charleston and HCF’s two museum houses.
- Excellent price – It’s free. But hey, feel free to drop a donation in the box so we can keep refreshing the content.
- Excellent accessibility – It’s available on Apple and Android devices!
- Take the 30-stop audio tour of Charleston.
- Enjoy stories of over 300 sites in the city.
- It has over 9 recorded hours of researched and curated history plus photos to bring the stories alive.
- Visit our house museums (click link below for hours and admission info), and enjoy tours already loaded on the HCF APP with many “extras” to discover. Purchase admission to one house or a discounted ticket to visit both houses.
- Shop Tax-Free:
Follow HCF on FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM!
HISTORIC CHARLESTON FOUNDATION:
Chartered in 1947, Historic Charleston Foundation is a non-profit advocacy organization advancing the mission of historic preservation. As historic preservation has evolved into more than a movement to simply save historic buildings, the Foundation has broadened its scope into balancing the needs of modern society with protecting the sensitive fabric of the historic district.
Historic Charleston Foundation champions the historic authenticity, cultural character, and livability of the Charleston region through advocacy, stewardship, and community engagement.
Your ticket purchases and donations power our work. THANK YOU.
To learn more about our work, follow Historic Charleston Foundation on Instagram and Facebook, , and explore our website. The HCF app provides you with a free walking tour of the City plus tours of our two museum houses, the Aiken-Rhett House and the Nathaniel Russell House. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter.
HISTORIC CHARLESTON FOUNDATION
40 East Bay Street
PO Box 1120 | Charleston, SC 29402
For inquiries unrelated to the Festival: (843) 723.1623 | [email protected]