Spring 2020 Archives Update
Posted: March 30, 2020
Since the last Archives update, many new items have been added to the Archives/Library and the Online Catalog including property information, library items, photographs, and other visual materials. Here are just a few of the new additions:
- Graduate student research reports on buildings associated with Suffragettes (9 Broad, 134 Broad, 7 Gibbes, 227 King, 31 Meeting, 5 Pitt, 9 Pitt, 18 Rutledge, 44 South Battery, 20 Water)
- Original blueprints for 17 Longitude Lane, possibly by Albert Simons
South Elevation, 17 Longitude Lane
- Business stationery featuring engravings of buildings: 14 Broad Street, 17 Broad Street, and 302 King Street
- Oral history interviews about changing neighborhoods: Arthur Lawrence (West Side), Daisy Walsh (West Ashley), Erica and Dan Lesesne (Radcliffborough), and Vangie Rainsford (Mazyck-Wraggborough)
- Charleston Fancy: Little Houses and Big Dreams in the Holy City by Witold Rybczynski (New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2019)
- Overtourism: Issues, Realities and Solutions by Rachel Dodds and Richard W. Butler (Berlin, Germany: De Druyter, 2019)
- Lost Charleston by J. Grahame Long (Charleston: History Press, 2019)
- Lost Charleston by Leigh Jones Handal (London, England: Pavilion Books, 2019)
- Sustainable Heritage: Merging Environmental Conservation and Historic Preservation by Amalia Lefieste and Barry L. Stiefel (New York: Routledge, 2018)
Photographs and Other Visual Materials:
- 1907 photographic postcard of the Charleston Water Works Office building and the standpipe
- B&W photographs showing the aftermath of the tornadoes of September 29, 1938
- Four photographs: Kodachrome slide of a view on Church Street (1949); photograph of 338 Sumter Street (1920s); photograph of 340 Meeting Street (Weyman’s Folly) (ca. 1920); photograph (carte-de-visite) of the Magnolia Cemetery Lodge (ca. 1859)
Magnolia Cemetery Lodge
- Three postcards: “View from Francis Marion Hotel, looking towards Cooper River Bridge,” “Cooper River Bridge,” and “The Heart of Charleston Motor Hotel”
- Stereoscope slides/transparencies featuring Charleston buildings, sites, and streetscapes
Stereoscope Slide: South Battery
- Color slides of Rockville and Wadmalaw properties, Sullivans Island beach houses, McClellanville properties, Hampton Park Terrace properties, Runnymede Plantation, the St. Paul A.M.E. Zion Tabernacle/Camp Meeting Ground and Shady Grove Camp Ground, Indian Field Tabernacle and Cypress Methodist Camp Ground, and the Lucas Family Cemetery.
… AND MUCH MORE! The Online Catalog contains records that describe thousands of items in Historic Charleston Foundation’s Archives. It is updated on a regular basis, so please check often.
Images and content may be protected by copyright or other restrictions, and may not be reproduced, transmitted, copied, or otherwise used without permission. Contact Karen Emmons to request permission to use images or content from the catalog. Fees may apply.