Posted: August 18, 2020
Are you experienced in retail management and creative with an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for providing an excellent retail experience, attentive to the bottom line, savvy in ecommerce and driving visitation and sales and have a keen eye for merchandising? If yes, we want to hear from you!
Historic Charleston Foundation is seeking a Director of Retail.
Responsible for the successful operation of HCF’s four retail locations and e-commerce site, including the retail headquarters at 108 Meeting Street, the Market Shop, the gift stores in the Nathaniel Russell and Aiken-Rhett museum houses and online at historiccharleston.org. The Director must achieve or surpass the revenue goals set forth by the Foundation through the management of all aspects of retail and licensing operations. Additionally, the Director of Retail is responsible for promoting the Foundation’s mission through product development and appropriate programming.
Essential Job Functions
1. Oversee all operational aspects of the Retail Department.
2. Responsible for ensuring adequate staffing of retail operations.
3. Manage the supervisory staff regarding product display and general store conditions.
4. Implement and help develop accounting policies that meet the Foundation’s accounting standards.
5. Oversee the shipping and receiving functions of all retail operations.
6. Create periodic reports to the President & CEO, CFO and Director of Marketing on sales figures and a routine analysis of product performance.
7. Manage the inventories to ensure that proper stock levels are maintained to meet the seasonal needs of the business.
8. Develop a process for periodic review to isolate slow sellers and to develop a plan for their liquidation.
9. Develop product acquisition/development plans that focus on: a. Charleston and its environs b. Products exclusive to HCF c. Private label products that promote sales as well as the Foundation’s brand.
10. At least twice yearly, prepare a buy plan for and attend the major gift shows.
11. Maintain on-going awareness of Charleston-based product wholesalers and manufacturers and prioritize opportunities to buy locally made products.
12. Maximize sales of the online store, to include new product additions and the timely fulfillment of orders.
13. Periodically review licensee product assortments and promotional plans.
14. Serve as the principal liaison to the Retail Committee.
15. Develop annual strategic marketing plans with the Director of Marketing to include advertising, special events and publicity.
16. Execute promotional plans throughout the year in collaboration with the Director of Marketing.
17. Supervise retail staff in promoting retail operations via social media and through monthly HCF e-newsletter.
Education & Experience Requirements
The Retail Department operates seven days a week and is closed only on selected holidays. The Director of Retail will generally work a Monday-through-Friday schedule, yet will be required to work selective weekends and nights to accommodate peak business periods. Selected travel to trade shows is required. These shows may operate during weekends and on holidays. It is likely that each day at a trade show will involve extended hours of work time.
All members of the staff of Historic Charleston Foundation are called on, from time to time, to support cooperative Foundation programs that are held after normal working hours and on weekends and to assist with projects that may lie outside their primary areas of responsibility.
Generally, the position requires extended periods of sitting at and operating the computer, driving between locations and the warehouse, and the ability to work in fluctuating temperature conditions.
Immediate opening. Please complete the application by clicking here. EOE.
Closing Date: Until filled.
The employment relationship with Historic Charleston Foundation is at-will and can be terminated by either you or the Foundation at any time, for any reason. Neither this form, or any oral or written policy or procedure, nor any representation by any HCF employee, supervisor or officer can or will change the at-will nature of your employment.
Historic Charleston Foundation is a nonprofit organization that champions the historic authenticity, cultural character and livability of the Charleston region through advocacy, stewardship and community engagement.