Some of the city’s finest examples of Federal, Regency, Greek Revival, Italianate and Victorian architecture are found in this neighborhood adjacent to Montagu Street, now known as Harleston Village.
History about Harleston Village:
Harleston Village’s history dates back to the late 1600s, when the land was granted to John Coming and Henry Hughes. Coming’s nephew, Henry Harleston, inherited the land. The Harleston’s were well known in the area for their activity in the province government. Once the section of town was developed c. 1770, the area became known as Harleston Village.
The streets of Harleston Village are almost all named after prominent men of the late 18th century who were active in the Provincial government as well as leaders in the American Revolution. Some of these well known streets are Gadsden, Bull, Montagu and Pitt. Montagu street was named for one of Carolina’s last Royal Governors, Sir Charles Greville Montagu.
Additional Montagu Street Tour Date: