Aiken Rhett House Ornament
Built in 1820 and greatly expanded in the 1830s and 1850s, the Aiken-Rhett House and its outbuildings have survived as a time capsule virtually unaltered since 1858. The house speaks powerfully about the interconnections among all members of the household. Original outbuildings include the kitchen, slaves’ quarters, stable, coach house and privies. A successful businessman and planter, Governor Aiken and his wife Harriet Lowndes Aiken took the “grand tour” of Europe and returned with magnificent crystal and bronze chandeliers, classical sculptures and paintings to decorate and furnish their mansion. The Aiken-Rhett house remained in the family until 1975 and is now owned and operated as a museum by Historic Charleston Foundation.
Made in the USA exclusively for Historic Charleston Foundation
Our nonprofit status enables customers to enjoy tax-free shopping