B&W photograph showing a train passing in front of 49 Chapel Street (Winstanley-Parker House). Train tracks in foreground. 45 Chapel and 47 Chapel also in view at left.
House history (Buildings of Charleston): Constructed ca. 1790-1810; altered 1960s. Thomas Winstanley, Middlesex businessman and intendant (mayor) of the city in 1804, built this asymmetrical, two story weatherboarded and hipped-roof house. The building has a stair hall and three rooms on each floor and was one of the earliest structures in the new neighborhood of Mazyckborough. Originally intended to face Charlotte Street with an extensive front garden, the former parcel was subdivided to create the lot for 44 Charlotte Street. By 1832 the house had been sold to Miss Rachel Parker, heiress of other properties in the area owned by her uncle Benjamin Parker. Miss Parker lived in the house until her death in 1861, devising it in her will to her niece Sarah Drayton with bequests to Mrs. Drayton's sons, Robert Parker and Charles Drayton. Part of the Drayton Hall line, Sarah Drayton spent her last years in this small house. The chimneys were removed in the 1960s after the building had been cut into apartments.