Two B&W aerial photographs of areas on the Charleston peninsula, taken some time before 1953:
a: View north at the area loosely bounded on the west by St. Philip Street, on the east by Anson Street, and on the south by Hasell Street, extending north to the edge of the city. Notable buildings and areas include Ansonborough before the Gaillard was constructed; George Street before it was extended to East Bay; Second Presbyterian Church and other Meeting Street buildings before the Federal Building was constructed; a portion of Mazyck-Wraggborough and the East Side; KKBE Synagogue; Charleston Orphan House; Marion Square; Francis Marion Hotel; the Old Citadel; 292 Meeting Street; Burns Lane bordering the site of the TD Arena; Marks Building (372-374 King); Middleton-Pinckney House; Camden Sheds and other SC Railroad buildings; the Wentworth Street Fire Station; and much more.
b: Oblique view south at the area loosely bounded by Calhoun Street, Coming Street, and Market Street, extending southeast to the ports and piers on the Cooper River. King Street to just south of Market Street bisects the photograph. Notable buildings and areas include almost the entire College of Charleston Campus (before Glebe and Green Streets were closed off), Wilson-Sottile House, Sottile Theater, and Randolph Hall; Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church; the Charleston Orphan House; Francis Marion Hotel; Marion Square (and a house on the south edge and one on the west edge); Charleston Hotel; Marks Building; Washington Light Infantry; St. Phillip Street police station; Bennett Rice Mill; Memminger School; almost all of Ansonborough; the U.S. Customs House; Market Street sheds; and much more.