B&W Polaroid photograph of 4 Green Street, street (front) elevation. December 1961 written on back.
Constructed ca. 1817. This three-and-a-half story Charleston single house with a hipped roof retains its Flemish bonded brickwork on its east side, while stucco and Italianate style window heads and a two-story Tuscan piazza remain on the front and west sides. The house was held in the estate of James Martin in 1860 and served as rental property for a number of years. Its use as a dormitory for men from the early 20th century to the present has earned the structure its colorful title "The Shack." (The Buildings of Charleston, p. 514-515.)