B&W photographs of 153 Alexander Street (Memorial Baptist Church), street (front) elevation, corner view. Two copies of photograph in sleeve.
Constructed ca. 1886; renovated mid-1970s. From 1818 onward this site served as a Baptist burial ground. In the years after the Civil War several different Baptist congregations occupied the property, including the Second Baptist Church and the First Colored Baptist Church, both with burial grounds. Soon thereafter, the group built the wooden core of the present building in a vernacular meetinghouse stile. Covered with brick veneer in 1976 and embellished with Colonial Revival details, Memorial Baptist Church continues at this site, long occupied by black and white Baptists.